Saturday, November 9, 2013

Week 9

This week our lecture was on networks while our quiz was still on recursion, the quiz was too simple that I thought I was writing down the wrong answers. While talking about token networks the interactive example was a good method to illustrate how it works.

While looking at the various different networks we looked at the security functions / trust levels that each network brought with them. Prof Heap also showed us how he could access files from the cdf server and see what other cdf had opened on their screens. This led me to try to find out how secure my own home network & my cell phone hotspot are. Since my wifi network at home is a bus network I found that I could download a “sniffer” program and intercept packets of data that are being transferred to other computers. I could even intercept a voIP call if it encrypted a certain way. As I got more curious about encryption and security I read about keyloggers and file encryption.

After doing some basic research I logged onto “Connection Hub,” a router managing software that comes with Bell Internet service. From the online site I can now view everything that is connected to the network both through Ethernet and through WiFi. I can also change the router password and the type of encryption used.    


Test 2 is next Wednesday. Time to study!

No comments:

Post a Comment